Happy Birthday to Me.

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

No, it's not my birthday, but it is coming up and that has me thinking. About food to be precise (what else is new?). When I think of my birthday, my first thought is of what I want to eat on that day. What treats I can have and what variety of foods I want eat to celebrate the day. My second thought is, why do I immediately turn to food as a reward for a special occasion? Granted it is a special day to me, and I will have some sort of cake, but do I really need to go overboard and throw the whole LRP out the window for a day? This line of thinking reminds me of that annoying proverb "A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips." I'm already trying to work off a lifetime of birthday moments, dinner moments, sad moments, just because it's Wednesday moments. As tasty as a special birthday meal sounds, I really don't want to make things harder than they already are.

Which leads me to my second dilemma. I recognize that I have an addiction to food that I'm trying to break. I don't want to pick up another in the process. To put it another way, I'm afraid that by trying to get rid of my food addiction, I will inadvertently fall into another, potentially just as dangerous, habit. Say, by spending too much money.

How do I reward myself responsibly? As I type this, I realize it appears to be a pretty simplistic and stupid question. It stumps me nonetheless. Am I making too big a deal of things? It's only one day, a measly 24 hrs, and I can hop on the horse again the day after. Blarg.

0 comments: