So a girl walks into a bar...

Saturday, July 26, 2008

This may shock some of you, but I like drinking water. From the tap. (dramatic pause...) Have you picked yourself off the floor yet? Ok, I'm kidding, slightly. I know more people than just myself drink plain water, but the market has become so saturated, no pun intended, with flavored waters and vitamin-enhanced waters that it really feels like the plain janes are harder to find. As much as I like water, I do get tired of it sometimes, and I want to continue to limit my pop intake. Here are some healthy options I can try the next time I want something different. Feel free to try them as well:

Apple juice- Vitamin C, boron which helps with bones, lessens chances of getting asthma, heart disease, cancer, and other various diseases prone to the elderly.

Tea- This is universally good for you. With over 700 chemicals, the added benefits are dependent on the type of leaf you use. You can read more here. Fresh brewed is best, and keep the sugar low.

Orange Juice- High in vitamin C and folic acid. It's also high in sugar (10g in 4 ounces).

Cranberry Juice- Vitamins C, A, and K; dietary fiber, potassium.

Acai Juice- This juice has only recently become popular, there isn't much reuputable information out yet. Here is one supplier.

Black cherry juice- Another that is only recently gaining attention. There are claims that is helps with sports-related muscle strains, but hey, who doensn't like the taste of cherries?

Blueberry juice- Vitamins C, K, E, and B6. Also dietary fiber and antioxidants.

Concord (red) grape juice- Loaded with antioxidants and good for the heart as well as lowering bad cholesterol.

Red wine- The older and slighty alcoholic sibling to the grape juice. Limit to two glasses a day.

Pomegranate Juice- One glass has 40% of your daily dose of vitamin C. Also vitamins A and E, folic acid, and three times more antioxidants than red wine or tea.

Now that you're feeling good about these good for you drinks, take a gander at these. The last one makes me want to hurl just looking at it.



Source

0 comments: