Say cheese.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I love cheese. Cheese pizza, mozerella sticks, cheese fondue, a delicious gooey blob on top of french onion soup..I could go on. It has been my habit, like most of you, to add a bit of cheese to sandwiches and salads. Doing so is such a habit that it's done without a second thought, like it can't be a real sandwich without some cheese. The LRP has forced me to become more aware of what I eat, and what the food I'm eating tasts like; it's a lot easier to eat better if what I'm eating tastes good. What I came to realize is this; all that cheese that I habitually put on my sandwiches: I can't taste it. What is the point of eating something if you can't taste it! I assembled a short chart showing the fat and calories I've literally been wasting on adding that bit of cheese.

1 oz, or 1 slice of:

brie cheese = 100 calories, 8g of fat.
cheddar cheese = 113 calories, 9g fat.
mozzerella cheese = 90 calories, 6g of fat.
swiss cheese - 100 calories, 8g of fat.

You may be saying to yourself "Wait a second, I like that bit of cheese! It's my little indulgence." That's fine, but consider it this way: go to your kitchen and pull out your 1/4 measuring cup. Now fill that half way with rice and empty the cup into your hand. Examine the space that rice takes up, not much is it? Is it still worth the calories on something you can't taste? For further consideration, here are some other ways you can consume 100 calories and less fat.

1 cup servings of:
grapes
mango
blueberries
pineapple

2 cup servings of:
raspberries

Or how about:
1/2 cantelope
15 strawberries and 1/4 cup of lite cool whip
2 cups of carrots and 2 tbsp hummus
1 small baked potato with ½ cup salsa and 2 tablespoons of fat-free sour cream
½ cup low-fat cottage cheese with 5 strawberries
A 5-ounce tossed salad with lettuce, tomato, cucumber and ¼ cup fat-free dressing

I haven't cut cheese completely out of my diet, I only eat it when I know that I'll taste it...like in a yummy cup of french onion soup. More food for thought (literally!) can be found here with visual calorie comparisons.

0 comments: