Cereal still counts as cooking.....right?

Friday, July 18, 2008

Another reason I was was so tired and not hungry last night was because I was cooking...if you can really count this as cooking.

Minted Tabbouleh Salad

2 cups water
*1 cup uncooked bulghur wheat
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 lemon for juice (or more, to taste)
3 cloves garlic, whole
olive oil, as needed
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded and finely diced
1 small green apple, peeled cored and diced
1/4 cup diced tomato
2 tablespoon chopped mint
Salt and pepper, to taste

* You'll likely only be able to get bulghur wheat at a health food store. My regional chain grocer coughwegman'scough was supposed to carry it per their website, but neither I nor the nice employee could find it, so I substituted couscous. The difference being couscous is a type of pasta and bulghur wheat is a cracked wheat, but they do look similar. You do lose some nutrients by going with couscous, but it's that's your only option, it's not going to ruin the dish.

Boil water and add the blughur. Return to a boil, reduce heat and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes. Strain, cool, and squeeze out excess water. Stir in oil and lemon. If you are using couscous, then ignore this part and cook according to box instructions and set aside to cool. I used a tablespoon of olive oil after it was done to make the couscous less likely to stick.

Peel the garlic and saute in olive oil until golden, chop. Add remaining ingredients. Serve Chilled. Again, I diverted from the recipe by using minced garlic I already had in my fridge.

As you can see, the only bad part about this recipe is all the oil that is called for. I used it sparingly, about 1.5 tablespoons.

Voila! This can be served as a side dish, or a small main dish with other things.



0 comments: